The Appleton City R-II School District is pleased to announce that we are now offering free COVID-19 testing to any student or staff member in the district as the need arises. The federal government has prioritized public and private K-12 districts/schools to receive Abbott’s BianaxNOW rapid antigen test kits to test symptomatic school personnel and students for COVID-19. The test kits were provided for free to the school district. The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) strongly believes that these rapid antigen tests will be instrumental in both opening and keeping schools open so onsite education can safely be delivered to as many students as possible. The rapid testing will allow quicker notification of positive cases and hopefully limit the contact they have with others sooner therefore reducing the number of exposures within in the school and lessening the numbers placed on quarantine.
The testing will be offered in the school nurses office daily during school hours as needed and will be free of charge to all students and staff members. The Abbott BinaxNOW test is a minimally invasive anterior nasal swab test, and yields results in just 15 minutes. The test will be only administered by Nicole Piepmeier, R.N. at the Appleton City School. The test is completely voluntary and will never be administered unless the written consent form is signed by a parent/guardian.
If you wish for your child to be tested for COVID-19 at school please follow the guidelines listed below:
- If your child has any symptoms of COVID-19 keep them home and call the school nurse at (660)476-2161 option #7 to set up a date and time to have your child tested. The BinaxNOW test should only be performed on someone who is within the first 7 days of having symptoms of COVID-19.
- You will be asked to bring your child to school at the scheduled time and call (660)476-2161 option #7 or ring the doorbell in the front of the school under the awning to let the nurse know you have arrived.
- You will be asked to sign a written consent for your child to be tested at that time, and you will be given written information about the test.
- The test will be conducted in the school nurses office and only takes a few minutes to perform.
- After the test is performed the student and parent will be asked to return to your vehicle for approximately 15 minutes to wait for test results. If you do not wish to wait, you may leave a phone number for where you can be reached for notification of results.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the school nurse at (660)476-2161 option #7.